Friday 4 July 2014

Running scared



I have signed up for my first half marathon.

I honestly never thought I would think/say/write those words in my life but here I am, aching all over after just six miles of training this week, wondering what on Earth I have got myself into!

I'm not new to running, and have four shiny medals to show for the 10k races I have entered in the past two years.














But a half marathon is a truly terrifying prospect. The furthest I have ever run is 10 km or 6.2 miles. A half marathon is 21 km or 13.1 miles! I'm not even sure my little, weak ankles will carry my happy fatty body that far but I am determined, and now I have set up a JustGiving page to raise money for a charity I MUST NOT back out!!

The charity I'm supporting by plodding heavily through the streets of Cardiff will be CoppaFeel. I actually signed up for the race without the intention of raising money for any charity, but a week or two after I signed up I watched a documentary on BBC3 about this amazingly inspiring young women, not much older than me, who was diagnosed with terminal Breast Cancer in her early 20s. Instead of running scared, she is bravely educating other young girls and women on the importance of getting to know your own boobs.




So get checking your boobies girlies, and if you would like to support the charity (and me on my run) you can donate at: www.justgiving.com/Emily-Worthington2/




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment=]